Skip to main content


Residential and Agricultural Burn Information 

Effective December 1, 2021 those possessing current and valid residential burn permits can now resume burning on permissible burn days and hours 8:00A.M, – 3:00P.M..

Use the following link to determine if you live in the LRA (Local Responsibility Area) or SRA (State Responsibility Area) SRA Viewer. If you live in LRA you will need to go to your local fire district to obtain the proper burn permit.

Agriculture burns must be inspected by CAL FIRE prior to burning until the end of the peak fire season. Inspections may be required for burns other than agriculture burns as well. This can be verified by contacting the Monterey Bay Air Resources District (MBARD).

CAL FIRE burn permits will be required. Residential burn permits are available at for San Benito & Monterey County residents.

For those Santa Cruz County residents who live within the Aromas Tri – County Fire Protection District please use the following link . While cooler temperatures have helped to diminish the threat of wildfire, property owners and residents are asked to use caution while conducting debris or agriculture burns. Always use caution when burning, follow all guidelines provided, and maintain control of the fire at all times. Individuals can be held civilly and/or criminally liable for allowing a fire to escape their control and/or burn onto neighboring property.
Residents wishing to burn MUST verify it is a permissive burn day prior to burning. or (800) 225-2876.


Pile Burning Requirements

• Only dry, natural vegetative material such as tree trimmings may be burned.

• The burning of trash, painted wood, or other debris is not allowed.

• Do NOT burn on windy days.

• Piles should be no larger than four feet in diameter and in height. You can add to the pile as it burns down.

• Clear a 10-foot diameter down to bare soil around your piles.

• Have a shovel and a water source nearby.

• An adult is required to be in attendance of the fire at all times.

• Burn hours 8:00A.M. – 3:00 P.M.


Safe residential pile burning of forest residue by landowners is a crucial tool in reducing fire hazards. State, Federal, and Local land management and fire agencies will also be utilizing this same window of opportunity to conduct prescribed burns aimed at improving forest health on private and public lands.

For more information on burning, visit the CAL FIRE website at ###

If you are looking to obtain a agricultural burn permit, please call 831-726-3130

8 A.M. – 5 P.M. 7 Days a week for instructions.


Residential burning handout